Research & Development
GERMI has established two research wings- Petroleum and Renewable Energy. The Petroleum Wing has two major groups.
Integrated microbial and geochemical methodology for the detection hydrocarbon microseepage in petroliferous region
The region of study is the Tarapur block, present in the Cambay basin of Gujarat which has been a promising region for hydrocarbon exploration and production. The study is a conglomeration of the adsorbed gas analysis, the chemical alterations associated with the trace metals present in soils that are related to hydrocarbon micro seepages and the microbial data in which the anomalies created by the oxidation of the hydrocarbon by bacteria is being analysed. Key highlights of the project includes:
- Determination of the concentration of the various trace metals present in the soil sample.
- Microbial analysis of the soil sample to determine the presence of the Propane oxidising bacteria (POB).
- Collection of the Digital Elevation Models (DEM) of Gujarat and preparation of maps of the study area by integrating the DEM with sample location, Ill data and also identifying the lineaments and fractures in the region.
- Detection and quantification of the light gaseous hydrocarbons through Adsorbed soil gas technique.
- Integration of the trace metal and microbial data with the adsorbed soil gas data and their correlation to determine the mechanism of hydrocarbon seepage and how they affect the soil in and around the seepage zone and preparing their concentration maps.